Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Post-It note life

Sometimes I look around and wonder how people ever got thru the day without Post-It notes. No, really, at any given time, I can look around me and see them ....they're everywhere. Sticking out of books and magazines, on the garage service door, the fridge, you name it. These little marvels should be one of the Seven Wonders....no kidding. Not only are there Post-It notes in various sizes, there are Post-it flags and Post-It arrows. And the colors available......right now, in my possession, I have bright blue, orange, canary yellow (the original color), purple and white. I have flags in blue, red, green and yellow, plus arrows that are odd shades of pink, green, blue and orange..... amazing. And I personally have 7 different sizes of these fabulous little stickies.

I stick one on the garage door to remind hubby it's trash day, or trash and recycling day.  They work great for little love notes in his lunchbox. (yea I know, we're kind of mushy still).  I 'll  write something on one at work and stick it in my purse so I'll see it when I get home. There's dozens of files on my desk at work with them on the front and flags sticking off papers in the file. They make great bookmarks, and the arrows are perfect little pointers. I use them in my sewing room, in cookbooks and on calendars. My husband even has one covering the  "brights on" icon (for the headlights) on the dashboard, because it's too bright for him in the dark (crybaby).

I can't remember a time without these litltle marvels. Yet,when I Googled it, I was amazed to see that Post-It notes were only developed in 1974 and not sold in stores until April 6, 1980!!  Who invented these wonderful things? A guy at 3M in Cythiana KY named Art Fry (no really, that's his name, Google says so but even I think it  sound made-up). And even though the patent expired in 1990, allowing other companies to make a similar product, the majority of of the world's Post-It notes are still made in Cynthiana, Kentucky. Amazing. Kind of wish I'd bought stock in it.

Look for Recipe of the Month coming later this week !!

No comments:

Post a Comment